add address text

Add your e-mail address here and you will automatically receive notice of Aerelle's Wheels of Fire updates!

Monday, July 6, 2015

Cedartown

     I had the great honor this last week to compete in the same race with several world-record-setting wheelchair racers.  This amazing opportunity was in Cedartown, Georgia at the Cedartown training camp and 5K.  I was feeling very slow this week being around so many veterans who have so much more experience than I.  At the 5K, Tatyana McFadden set a new world record of 11:11:57!  (I had the time of 20:47--definitely feeling s l o w !)

     To have so many elite athletes in one place was a bit overwhelming for me.  Everyone was quick to listen to my questions and offer help and advice where needed.  They also offered just plain friendship.
Hannah, me, and the Nigerian flag!

 
I roomed with Hannah Babalola from Nigeria, who holds the record as the second fastest woman in the 200 meter.  It was great to share our stories and our faith with each other.  I saw some old acquaintances from track camp last year in University of Illinois who were as glad to see me as I was to see them.  


     I even got to act a bit like a groupie when I finally met Tatyana McFadden.  She was the first wheelchair racer whose name I knew as I began getting interested in this sport.  I found it funny that Ray Martin, who is the world's fastest quad didn't intimidate me, but for some reason Tatyana did!  I had her sign my Cedartown T-shirt; I may have it framed!!!  (By the way, she didn't intimidate Thaddeus in the least, who tried out all of his four-year-old jokes on her and insisted on giving her a high five every time he saw her.)  She is definitely a great role model because she is so humble about all of her achievements and rarely wants to talk about herself.  

     As Hannah would say, the people of Cedartown were "so lovely!"  It was fun to find a knowledgeable group of people who were so encouraging.  The committee, the sponsors, the whole community rallied around the athletes and their families to provide meals, lodging, and encouragement throughout the week.  For the first time, I was a part of a 5K that was only wheelchairs.  They marked the manholes, cleared the paths of gravel, and asked local residents to keep their dogs inside.  These are details that aren't usually needed in a foot race, but they are in a push wheelchair competition!  

     Overall, I was excited to find myself in the family of wheelchair racers, not just out there by myself.  The Lord blessed me with an amazing opportunity.  His hand was with me.


It is God who arms me with strength

    and makes my way perfect.
34 
He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
    he enables me to stand on the heights.
35 
He trains my hands for battle;
    my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
36 
You give me your shield of victory;
    you stoop down to make me great.
37 
You broaden the path beneath me,
    so that my ankles do not turn.

--2 Samuel 22:33-37

No comments:

Post a Comment